How You Can Help Your Community with Homemade Face Masks
Thank you to everyone in our community that responded to Stark’s Vacuum call to anyone wishing to sew masks using vacuum bags. The response has been overwhelmingly positive.
Resources for Helping Your Community with Homemade Face Masks
Stark’s Vacuums CEO, Troy Evans, was interviewed by Helen Raptis from AM Northwest. He provided tips on keeping a healthy home, the comparison on bagged vs bagless vacuums, and how to make masks out of items you may have lying around the house.
Check out Troy’s interview here.
We have had several requests for mask patterns so that people can make for themselves and others. We did some research and found some helpful resources with excellent instructions and thought we would share them here.
There have also been requests for the names of other organizations that might be in need. The best thing you can do is to reach out to the organizations closest to you and ask if a homemade mask using a vacuum bag filter would be helpful to them. Organizations such as nursing homes, homeless shelters, hospice care centers, grocery stores, etc. Also, hospitals and medical centers may accept homemade masks to cover their N95 respirators.
We will try to keep this list updated. If you have information about an organization that is requesting masks, or you are interested in vacuum bags to make masks with, send information, and requests to email@example.com.
Thank you for sharing your time and talent to help others in need.
Stay Home, Stay Healthy, and Remember to Wash Your Hands!
Homemade Face Mask Resources
- Click Here to read the CDC Article on Facemasks
- University of Cambridge How to Make a Homemade Cloth Mask
- Deaconess Hospital: How to Make a Face Mask Tutorial
- How to Sew a Mask for Hospitals | via Sew it Online (perfect for inserts)
- Instructional Video for Sewing the Olson Mask | via UnityPoint Health
Organizations in Need of Masks: Contact Information
(Contact first to make sure they are accepting masks)
- Oregon | via Deaconess Hospital
- Washington | via Deaconess Hospital
- Local Elder Care Centers, Nursing Homes, & Hospice
- Local Homeless Shelters Portland
- Local Homeless Shelters Vancouver, WA
Need Face Mask Fabric? Shop Local Online!
- The Bolt Neighborhood Fabric Boutique
- Modern Domestic
- The Whole 9 Yards (offering curbside pick-up, call for details)
Articles About Sewing Face Masks
- Using Vacuum Bags to Create Surgical Face Masks
- Can you sew? Portland-based Chrome Industries will Teach Your How to Make Face Masks
Stark’s Vacuums is providing these resources as a community service for those who wish to make a mask. We make no claims or guarantees as to how effective these mask designs will be in preventing the spread of COVID-19. Those that make and use these masks will do so at their own risk.